Liquid soaps have really gained grounds in Nigeria these days, and personally, I prefer making liquid soap to making bar soap, due to lots of reasons. The chemicals used for making liquid soap is easy to get, just look for stores selling chemicals around or search online. This post will show you how to make liquid soap from scratch in Nigeria.
How to Make Liquid Soap From Scratch in Nigeria: Liquid Soap Ingredients
- 6-16 teaspoons of Sodium Laurate Sulphate (SLS)
- 500 grams of Nitrosol/Antisol/C.M.C (Carboxymethylcellulose)
- 10 – 20 teaspoons of Texapon
- 2 litres of Sulphonic Acid
- 240grams of Soda Ash
- 150 grams of Caustic Soda
- 10-20 teaspoons of Sodium Tripolyphosphate (S.T.P.P)
- 35 litres of water
- 6-16 teaspoons – Formaline (optional)
- Glycerine (optional)
Note: The above-listed ingredients can only make about 40litres of soap.
How to Make Liquid Soap From Scratch in Nigeria: Functions of Ingredients
Knowing how to make liquid soap from scratch in Nigeria requires knowing what each ingredient is used for.
Below are the functions of each ingredient.
- Sodium Laurate Sulphate: Foaming Agent
- Nitrosol: Cleaning and Thickening Agent
- Texapon: Foaming Agent
- Sulphonic Acid: Foaming Agent
- Soda Ash: Cleaning Agent
- Caustic Soda: Cleaning and Thickening Agent
- Sodium Tripolyphosphate: Cleaning and Thickening Agent
- Formalin: Preservative agent
- Colouring: Gives colour
- Perfume/fragrance: gives a nice smell
How to Make Liquid Soap From Scratch in Nigeria: The Steps
- Dissolve Soda Ash in 1litre of water and keep overnight for fermentation to take place before the production process begins
- Dissolve SLS in 1litre of water at least an hour before production
- Mix the Nitrosol with 10 litres of water before production.
- Dissolve Caustic Soda in 1litre of water and keep overnight for fermentation to take place before the production process begins
- The next step on how to make liquid soap from scratch in Nigeria is to mix S.T.P.P in 1liter of water before production.
- Mix Texapon and Sulphonic Acid together, then dissolve with 2litres of water. If properly mixed, heat should be generated. Mix gently.
- Pour the mixture containing sulphonic acid and Texapon into the mixture containing Nitrosol and stir gently till it becomes homogenous.
- Then add your fermented Caustic Soda to the mixture above.
- Add the dissolved Soda Ash and stir gently
- Add your STPP to the mixture, stir properly
- Add the dissolved SLS and mix properly
- Add Formalin to the mixture and stir
- You can add glycerin
- Allow the formed lather disappear before adding the Perfume/fragrance and colour (in case the colourant is in a powdered form, you need to dissolve it with water at least 35minutes before adding to the mixture) and stir properly.
- The intensity of colour should be based on your choice, but be careful not to cause a stain on whatever you want to use it for.
- Dilute with the water left, be cautious of the desired thickness wanted.
That’s how to make liquid soap from scratch in Nigeria. It is very simple. You can use the soap at home or sell if you want.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.